- "Build it and they will come" doesn't work! If you want to build an online community, you have to nurture your users, show appreciation
- implications for DSU research: we can't just adopt some system and say to the organization, "O.K., everybody, start blogging!" We need someone at the tiller, helping to establish the culture of the online community: expectations, rules, boundaries, etc.
- Journalism should evoke interaction (again, we are participants, and we want everybody else to participate!)
- Citizen journalism is here to tell the stories the papers don't.
- This isn't just beating the corporations and power-peddlers; this is telling about the debate team, the visits, the human things that maybe don't make the cut for the paper but which build community, which give different groups a sense of belonging.
Tuesday, June 10, 2008
6/4/ small group: discussion